Quantcast

Thumbs up Burlesque Cast Interview + Pic (Cher, Xtina, Cam, Stanley, Julianne, Eric)

'Burlesque' cast members get frisky during chat

BEVERLY HILLS -- Bosoms and bottoms are front and center in "Burlesque," a $55 million razzle-dazzler of a musical that will go down in history as the only film to ever showcase Cher's cinematic comeback, Christina Aguilera's acting debut and the pitfalls of balloon mortgages.

However, this flashy fable -- opening Thursday -- of a small-town girl with super-size talent (Aguilera, naturally, belting out everything from Etta James to three originals that she co-wrote) who hightails it to a big-city cabaret in the hopes of being discovered is a relatively tasteful PG-13 tease. There is but one strip number, and that is cleverly obscured by props.

That's unless you count the offstage clothes-shedding by Cam Gigandet's tipsy bartender Jack as he uses a strategically placed box of Famous Amos cookies to tempt Aguilera's slinky Ali.

But bring six of the cast members together to chat about a production, depicted in recent exposés as fraught with on-set tension between novice director Steve Antin and Screen Gems president Clint Culpepper (who also happens to be Antin's partner of 20 years), and it barely takes a minute before the repartee gets risqué.

The opening question: Has anyone ever been to a real burlesque club? Turns out almost everyone has.

Cher boldly leads the charge. "I was just in one the other night," says the ageless legend, who plays Tess, the debt-ridden owner of the lounge and a cool chick of a mother hen to her troupe of nubile ladies. "It was called the Box. It was in New York City. It's like a teeny little version of our set."

"Oh my God, the Box," exclaims Julianne Hough, the "Dancing With the Stars" sensation who is also making her film debut as an Ann-Margret look-alike dancer. "I went there right after we finished shooting, and I was like, 'I wonder if Steven saw this?' "

Stanley Tucci, who lends his usual understated humor to the part of gay stage manager Sean, inquires, "Is it a place where they do all different kinds of acts -- like very odd acts?"

Says Hough, emphatically, "Yes, yes, yes!"

Tucci proceeds to describe a trick done by a female performer that is very odd, indeed.

"Isn't that against the law?" Cher asks.

Around this time, Gigandet, best known as "Twilight"'s vampire James, slips into his seat after a bathroom break and is taken aback by the conversation. "Now I'm totally lost."

"I think I was there the same night," Hough says. "I was glad I had a few drinks in me because I was like, 'This is really weird.' "

"I get off on women," Aguilera interjects. "I loved it."

Guys know their roles

Clearly, the version of the art form on display in "Burlesque" is a tamer sort, one more about female empowerment and fulfilling desires in healthier ways. But it still managed to seduce each actor into signing on.

Says Cher, an Oscar winner for 1987's "Moonstruck" who hasn't had a major film role since 1999's "Tea With Mussolini": "I agreed to do it finally when Steven and Clint tried to change the character to more who I thought she was. In the beginning, she was really cranky. She was not so nice and not so helpful to the girls."

Why such a long break from acting? "There was nothing I wanted to do. The only thing I wished I could have done was "Mamma Mia!" (She was offered Christine Baranski's surgery-enhanced cougar.) But I was on the road." She most regrets not teaming again with her "Silkwood" mentor and friend Meryl Streep.

For her big-screen bow, Aguilera was looking for something small. An independent film, especially one that wasn't a musical.

"Boy, that didn't happen," she says. "I am carrying the weight of the movie, and everything is on my shoulders. I knew it was going to be a big challenge and a lot of hard work, and it was. But I was really inspired to do it because just the word on paper -- burlesque -- really intrigued me. I've collected books on burlesque for years." In fact, a few of her volumes have cameos.

Hough, a fellow movie virgin, was glad to learn the ropes in a supporting part. Says the now-experienced actress who has since wrapped a lead role in the upcoming remake of "Footloose," "I still had fun and got to take in all the amazing people who were cast and grow from that."

As for the guys, well, as Tucci says, "It is about these two women" -- meaning Cher's and Aguilera's characters -- "and that is the story. You know that going in."

A sheepish Eric Dane, best known as Dr. McSteamy on the hit series "Grey's Anatomy," finally arrives to kisses and hugs all around.

"Well, how nice to see you," Tucci says. "We were just talking about how the men are just accessories in this film."

"That's the story of my life," says Dane, who is only too glad to downplay the importance of his role as Marcus, a suave entrepreneur who wants to buy the Burlesque Lounge and woo Ali.

He took it partly because two people he admires, Cher and Tucci, were on board. "I don't obviously sing or dance. And the character is not too far removed from what I play on television."

Yet, he does do a splendid job in the film of explaining the concept of "air rights" to Ali, telling her that he owns the space in front of his property so the view can't be blocked. "Who knew there were air rights?" Dane says. "I went and bought some right after we shot this."

Jokes Tucci, "You have them here with you."

Says Dane, playing along, "I own everything above this table."

Tucci originally balked at taking on another gay man -- his third, after his stint as Streep's right-hand fashion maven in 2006's "The Devil Wears Prada" and as Hope Davis' cheating husband in 1996's "Daytrippers."

Culpepper convinced him otherwise. Tucci recalls: "He said, 'Why does a straight guy, if he plays a gay in a movie, think he can never do that again? How many doctors or husbands have you played?' He had a very good point, and it made sense to me. But you don't want to make anything a caricature. He said, 'Look, I want you because you are a very straight man.' But little does he know."

Quips Gigandet, "Are you taking your work home with you, Stanley?"

The younger actor jumped at the chance to sport guyliner and a Fosse-inspired bowler hat as a change of pace from his previous film --"Priest," a horror Western due next year.

"I had leather cowboy pants and chaps and a coat and everything and I'm all covered in dirt. And Clint Culpepper asked me to listen to a few songs that Christina had done for the movie, and I am sitting here wearing just the manliest possible outfit, blaring Christina Aguilera songs. Instinctually, I knew it would be the perfect thing. He said, 'You will have to fall in love with this voice and who sings it.' How can you pass up that opportunity?"

Apparently, Gigandet also couldn't pass up upstaging Dane at his own heartthrob game. He is the one in "Burlesque" who steps out of the shower McSteamy-style, wearing only a towel around his waist.

Doesn't Dane have a copyright on such beefcake poses? "I shot for it, like air rights," he jokes, "but it was already taken."

Secret revealed

OK, then. Time to dish some dirt on the making of "Burlesque," if there is any to be had. Antin says that accounts of on-set conflicts over budget and creative choices are exaggerated: "Clint runs a tight ship. I am a very passionate guy. We are both alpha dogs and Type-A personalities."

But did the strife between director and studio chief, overseeing the most expensive film in Screen Gems history, affect the actors at all?

Cher, ever fearless, takes the plunge again. "It never did. It never really did. One night with me and that was it. That's because it was 4 o'clock in the morning. But Clint was Clint, and he would come on the stage and either be hysterical and laughing, or they would be arguing about whether Steve was behind."

She looks at her table mates. "Did you ever notice it?"

The group consensus? No.

Aguilera says she just stayed focused on her work. "I don't really worry about the rest."

Besides, Gigandet notes, "There is always drama because you have so many different perspectives. Even though people understand it's a collaborative art form, they get so passionate about it. Which is a good sign at the end of the day."

He then smiles. "I had issues with Christina, though."

"I know," Aguilera snaps back. "(Expletive) you. I'm kidding."

He smiles again. "There was a lot of that on set."

As the interview winds down, there is one question that begs to be asked of Cher, who has been surprisingly candid in recent interviews. On the air, she even let David Letterman tick off a list of her suspected celebrity conquests (Warren Beatty was a "yeah," Elvis an "almost").

Here it goes: Is this the first time that you and your director dated the same man? Cher's eyes open wide before she throws back her head and lets loose with a long, raucous laugh.

The others gasp in disbelief and ask if it is true.

"Yes, it is," she says. "Steve and I both dated David Geffen," the billionaire entertainment mogul. "Actually, David was the one who told me, 'You have to do this film. This is the script and I'm sending it right to you.' "

So is it the only time?

Says Cher, invoking that oh-so-dry attitude that she once used to zing Sonny with on TV, "I imagine that it is."

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...ring-chat.html

Fun Interview and great cast! I love how christina is leading everyone in the pic! lol
    "You lift my spirit, inspire my creativity, and bring me so much joy ... LET'S DO THIS FOREVER!!!'' CA

Love the banter between cam and Christina.

Nice read!
    The New Adventures of Old LD: Join Date-Jul 1st, 2009 * Total Posts -3,041

wow t4p!

Cher was offered Christine Baranski's role??? OMG!

Call me a bitch whenever you wish
    Don't give a sh*t, can you handle it
    Cause I flip the script, don't seal my lips
    And if you don't like it
    You can suck my d*ck

Where's Kristen Bell? She couldn't handle Christina's legendness and killed herself?
    Fais ce que tu voudras

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicken View Post
    Where's Kristen Bell? She couldn't handle Christina's legendness and killed herself?
    Shooting a movie in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by HighHeeledHO View Post
    Shooting a movie in Alaska.
    Oh...how dare she
    Fais ce que tu voudras

tapĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ

Its too bad Kristen Bell is off filming a movie. She's missing all the promo haha.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    get into it.
    t w i t t e r | l a s t . f m

Where the **** is Kristen?

FOLLOW:
    XTINA FANATICS
    (Like XtinaNews but in spanish)

The road is long, we carry on. Try to have fun in the meantime
    TELL ME I'M YOUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
    Christina Aguilera Fanatic Venezuela