PDA

View Full Version : Why Do People Look Better In Mirrors Than Photos? (non-photoshopped)

Jeremy
08-20-2010, 02:36 PM
I swear I look 100 times better in mirrors lol.

Then a photo comes and reveals all your imperfections, or just looks completely different! I don't get it, its not just the lighting im talking about lots of mirrors! Especially after a haricut, your like wow I look good for a spit second.

Anyone else care to explain?

D'Avi
08-20-2010, 02:37 PM
lol...

superglowy
08-20-2010, 02:43 PM
I think it's something to do with Mirrors capturing and reflecting light wheras cameras dont, just like how on a photoshoot, they'll have huge lights all around the area being photographed, but if u see a 'night club' photo or such, they look drastically different.

bobiix
08-20-2010, 02:44 PM
same here. :laugh:

raij01
08-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Magic?

ezr
08-20-2010, 02:46 PM
the camera is a big fat LIAR, end of discussion. :mad:

Supernova.
08-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Same here. I always look different on photos.

Jeremy
08-20-2010, 02:51 PM
the camera is a big fat LIAR, end of discussion. :mad:

Lol so is the mirror the real you or the photo?

Im praying its the mirror haha.

Queen ♕ Razziberry
08-20-2010, 02:51 PM
cuz you blind

iAm
08-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Magic?

yes,
thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis is magic (8)

mirror mirror on the wall (8)

YONCÉ
08-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Your reflection on the mirror is backwards, it's not 100% how you look like. Taking a picture is more how you look like if anything.

Take this for example, while your TRUE expression might be the left one, what you're actually seeing in the mirror is reflection on the right.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/images/photo-effects/mirror-image/photoshop-mirror.jpg

Jeremy
08-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Your reflection on the mirror is backwards, it's not 100% how you look like. Taking a picture is more how you look like if anything.

Take this for example, while your TRUE expression might be the left one, what you're actually seeing in the mirror is reflection on the right.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/images/photo-effects/mirror-image/photoshop-mirror.jpg

they look exactly the same to me, maybe i am blind haha

Princess Serenity
08-20-2010, 02:57 PM
I have the same thing. and it's not to do with the mirror image, because I mirrored it and I still look horrible.

Sammi
08-20-2010, 02:58 PM
cause u see what you want to see in the mirror

disneyfied
08-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Maybe those people just aren't photogenic...

Bionicken
08-20-2010, 03:01 PM
That's why I always take pics when I'm going out, I want the truth
Webcam works too

iAm
08-20-2010, 03:01 PM
cause u see what you want to see in the mirror

:O
it could be

NEStacular!
08-20-2010, 03:04 PM
U.G.L.Y. you ain't got no alibi. You ugly. Yeah, yeah, you ugly!

Jynx
08-20-2010, 03:09 PM
The mirror pics look better to you because that is how you see yourself and your brain adjusts for any asymmetries and other imperfections. Your non-mirror pics is what you actually look like to other people. I got very suicidal when I realized this.

VenusAsABoy
08-20-2010, 03:09 PM
mirrors are so altered. photos as well, depending on the lens you use, but I trust photos more than mirrors. Anyways, you will never know exactly how you look.

Bionicken
08-20-2010, 03:14 PM
The mirror pics look better to you because that is how you see yourself and your brain adjusts for any asymmetries and other imperfections. Your non-mirror pics is what you actually look like to other people. I got very suicidal when I realized this.

Oh chit, I'm sad now.

ezr
08-20-2010, 03:15 PM

i'd rather stay delusional than accept that.

i look like sh#t in photos, but i look hot in mirrors. if i really looked like i look in photos, people couldn't possibly think i'm good looking.

plus, when someone is standing next to me in front of a mirror and we both look into it, the person next to me looks the same in the mirror and irl. but for example when i was outside with my sister and i thought she looked so pretty and took a picture of her, the picture didn't reflect half of her beauty.

Sammi
08-20-2010, 03:16 PM
pics don't lie people, I accepted that

although I look in the mirror once in a while to think "you're not so bad"

Princess Serenity
08-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah, it's not just a personal thing. People just look crap in photos. I look at photographs of my friends and they don't resembel what I see a lot of the time.

ezr
08-20-2010, 03:20 PM
i'm with PS. people don't look the same in pics and irl.

NEStacular!
08-20-2010, 03:21 PM
pics don't lie people, I accepted that

although I look in the mirror once in a while to think "you're not so bad"

What a horrible way to speak. You don't look ugly in your pics!

ezr
08-20-2010, 03:23 PM
AND, if the camera really told the whole truth, people wouldn't be using the expression "you look even better in person!" so much.

:sunny:

VenusAsABoy
08-20-2010, 03:24 PM
That's why I always take pics when I'm going out, I want the truth
Webcam works too

webcams are the biggest liars! They make you look gorgeous and with flawless skin, lol.

D'Avi
08-20-2010, 03:25 PM
U.G.L.Y. you ain't got no alibi. You ugly. Yeah, yeah, you ugly!

:roll:

Jynx
08-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Idk, I think the theory is that a static 2D picture exaggerates asymmetries because you don't see the "dynamic whole". Basically, asymmetries that are not noticeable irl become more noticeable in pictures, but I still think that pictured are pretty accurate... just sucks for those of us who lack symmetrical faces. Please Legend, make it so that Matt does not enter this thread. Amen.

Bionicken
webcams are the biggest liars! They make you look gorgeous and with flawless skin, lol.

lol :noway:

Sammi
What a horrible way to speak. You don't look ugly in your pics!

Well I assume so but you know it's all how we view ourselves tbh.

VenusAsABoy
08-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Idk, I think the theory is that a static 2D picture exaggerates asymmetries because you don't see the "dynamic whole". Basically, asymmetries that are not noticeable irl become more noticeable in pictures, but I still think that pictured are pretty accurate... just sucks for those of us who lack symmetrical faces. Please Legend, make it so that Matt does not enter this thread. Amen.

:laugh:

Sammi
08-20-2010, 03:32 PM

gwerl after that identity theft, Matt won't be posting pics for a while :susp:

bobiix
08-20-2010, 03:37 PM

:roll:

HighHeeledHO
08-20-2010, 03:41 PM

Yeah, in the photos all your uglyness is captured in time for eternity, the cracks, dents and bumps in your ugly ass dusty mug will be in full display for the world to mock :D

Cristina
08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
haha i was asking myself this this morning :D

kristina
08-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Some people look better in motion...

I think it's better not to be photogenic than to be someone that has to tilt their head a certain way when they take pictures to be perceived as good looking.

beto
08-20-2010, 06:12 PM

that's what i'd say.

Tron
08-20-2010, 06:45 PM
What you see in mirrors are 3D images and photos are just 3D images CONVERTED into 2D images. The images are ALTERED. SO I trust mirrors more than photos.

David
08-20-2010, 06:55 PM
photogenic? anyone?
I'm not a ****in photogenic, and i kinda hate the way i look in pictures, but, i was thinking the ohter day, out there are like 6584186468 kind of mirrors.

BackNDaDay90
08-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Maybe the mirror was lying to you.

paato
08-20-2010, 07:00 PM
I swear I look 100 times better in mirrors lol.

Then a photo comes and reveals all your imperfections, or just looks completely different! I don't get it, its not just the lighting im talking about lots of mirrors! Especially after a haricut, your like wow I look good for a spit second.

Anyone else care to explain?

OMG I always thought the same thing so, I tought I was crazy :D, I'm not the only one person who thinks that lol <3

Pressed
08-20-2010, 07:00 PM
because a mirror is 3D....

Jimmyboy
08-20-2010, 07:50 PM
This.

Queen ♕ Razziberry
08-20-2010, 07:52 PM
mirra mirra on the wall

TheRoof
08-20-2010, 08:55 PM
It depends in what lighting you are in. Florescent lighting is the worst.

BionicIconic
08-20-2010, 09:14 PM
well if you are ugly no mirror and no lighting is gonna save you

Soren
08-20-2010, 09:42 PM
they look exactly the same to me, maybe i am blind haha

If you were that person, you'd think the mirrored picture looks better because it's what you're used to seeing. We see ourselves in the mirror many times, so it's what we're used to and how we see ourselves. When we're shown a picture, we usually don't think it looks as good as what we see in the mirror. It's just a matter of familiarity

Jeremy
08-20-2010, 10:32 PM
If you were that person, you'd think the mirrored picture looks better because it's what you're used to seeing. We see ourselves in the mirror many times, so it's what we're used to and how we see ourselves. When we're shown a picture, we usually don't think it looks as good as what we see in the mirror. It's just a matter of familiarity

hmmm maybe I'm not so sure, lots of conflicting views and information on this thread lol.

Photos with flashes are the worst - yikes I run away from them most the time :cry:
However if you take like 100 photos one usually makes you look really hot, so we'll stick with those :)